Renowned feminist poet gives reading

Photographer, writer, feminist, and social activist Margaret Randall presented a poetry reading at the University of Waterloo’s Atrium on Nov. 5. The reading was held as a follow up to Randall’s lecture a day earlier, “To Change the World: My Years in Cuba”.

Randall shared excerpts from poetry books, including Stones Witness, which concerns, as she had phrased, her “love affair with ancient ruins.” The book contains photographs, poems, and first-person narratives.

“Cornerghosts”, a moving poem about Randall’s experience from the Vietnam War was read.

“Vietnam changes my life in ways I couldn’t have imagined”, she said.

Randall also shared a number of poems about Easter Island, which is one of the world’s most isolated regions. Randall stated that the poems are about “falling in love with the landscape, which to me is the most beautiful landscape.”

In addition, Randall recited one last poem, one that she said she had never been read before in public, called “Cursive Writing and Old Slime Molds”.

After the poetry reading, the audience was invited to ask questions. During this time Randall spoke about how she refused the former dichotomy between the views of feminism, and the traditional left-winged view. Randall emphasized that the “intersection of different issues are important”.

To read an interview with Margaret Randall from her Nov. 4 lecture, check out the print edition of The Cord this Wednesday.