Record set by Right to Play Laurier

The club hosted the world’s largest recorded handball game on Oct. 1 at University Stadium

Photo by Heather Davidson
Photo by Heather Davidson

Last Wednesday, Wilfrid Laurier University’s Right to Play club participated in Martin Parnell’s Canada Quest for Kids, where he is going to 10 universities across Canada and attempting to break 10 world records to raise money for the charity.

57-year-old Parnell made national and international news in 2010 for completing 250 marathons in a single year.

Ever since, then he has been dedicated to using sport to raise money for charity.

He is using Right to Play as a medium for his next project.

He began in British Columbia with a record—setting volleyball game and is making his way to St. John’s Newfoundland to play ice hockey.

Laurier was his fifth stop on the tour, and his goal was to set the record for the world’s largest recorded handball game, with 100 people participating.

Student volunteers and executive members of Right to Play helped Parnell accomplish his goal last week at University Stadium.

Each participant had to contribute $10 to play. According to Parnell, $50 is enough to give a child in a less-developed country a Right to Play program for an entire year.

The program teaches the children about the dangers of disease and infection to help keep them safe while also introducing them to sport.

Co-president of Right to Play Laurier Jeff Nelson, was instrumental in organizing the event. He was extremely proud of the effort his volunteers put forth in reaching their goal.

“Everyone was all in in terms of organizing it,” he said.

“We were telling everyone on campus through social media to come out, and even during the event we had people on campus telling people to come out. That just shows that the Laurier community is all about this kind of stuff which is great.”

Laurier students managed to break the record after several games. Parnell and Right to Play founder and CEO Johann Koss, as well as members of the media participated in order to help reach 100 players.

Nelson said everyone involved was thrilled to be a part of a fun event, but he emphasized that it was especially exciting for everyone to be a part of a Guinness World Record.

“It was unbelievable,” Nelson said.

“Because to be part of a world record in anything is something so cool, but the fact that it was supported and hosted by Right to Play Laurier students who were organizing it, just makes it that much better.”

While this was a big occasion for Right to Play Laurier, they are looking forward to the upcoming events that they are planning for the rest of the year.

“We have a lot of stuff [planned],” said Nelson.

“We have a soccer tournament we want to plan, a flag football tournament, a dodgeball tournament, a yoga rave and we are also in talks for other events that I’ll keep under wraps for now.”

Nelson was grateful to everyone who helped support Right to Play on Wednesday.

“We had everyone from all ages and groups come out. It was awesome,” he said.