Quad hosts fundraiser

Monday in the Quad at Wilfrid Laurier University was a little more than just a first day back to classes for the Kappa Omega chapter of Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity. It was a chance to raise money for Save a Child’s Heart and the Grand River Hospital Foundation.

Burgers and hot dogs, as well as a raffle for grocery store gift cards, raised $1,750, which is to be divided evenly in half between both charities.

Bands and a DJ played from around 11 a.m. into the evening, while fraternity members roamed about with juice jugs collecting change — something that the Laurier community seems to have no problem tossing in for charity.

It was a member’s own health experiences that led Alpha Epsilon Pi to choose Save a Child’s Heart, a worldwide organization that aims to improve cardiac care for children from developing countries.

Philip Kuperhause, president of the fraternity, said, “It was close to us because one of our members was born with a heart defect, so we thought it would be a good charity to help out.”

Kuperhause also remarked on the campus support of this event, “Most of the donations were in the cent range, 25 cents, they were all very small but it added up.”

He noted that most students who were coming through the Quad were trying to get to class, but the music and barbecue certainly attracted their attention.

The fifth annual event this year featured a number of bands from Toronto, Guelph and London and is one of several charity events held by the fraternity.

The Kappa Omega chapter also supports Get Swabbed, which matches eligible bone marrow recipients and donors, and Brick Breaker, which sells Brick Brewery tour tickets to raise money.