The Photo Editor is expected to have a diverse knowledge in photography, equipment, and editing software. They must exhibit creativity in many fields (i.e. sports, events, staged photography, etc.). They must also train and manage a team of qualified volunteers, so management skills are important. Candidates for this position must:
- Assist in recruiting and training volunteers;
- Contribute at least one editorial per year;
- Oversee both Lead Photographers and ensure they are contributing weekly;
- Receive photo requests from The Cord’s Section Editors;
- Hold weekly photography meetings with volunteers to distribute requests;
- Provide feedback to volunteers every week;
- Take any requests that volunteers or Lead Photographers can’t;
- Assist in Cord production specifically with editing photos for print and web;
- Ensure online photo albums are consistently updated;
- Ensure consistent communication with the section editors and EIC about photos;
- Contribute a photo of the week when a photo is exemplary;
- Share photos for use on social media pages;
- When using social media in regards to The Cord or WLUSP, the Photo Editors are expected to conduct themselves in a respectful and professional manner;
- Attend weekly Editorial Board meetings.
Applicants are required to provide any two (2) relevant pieces of sample work.