One president and seven directors enter WLUSU election

When nominations closed on Jan. 20 at 12 p.m., only six official candidates were accepted to run for 15 board of director positions in the Wilfrid Laurier University Students’ Union Annual General Meeting on Feb. 4.

“When the nominations came in, we went to validate them, we found there was only six complete director nominations,” said chair of the board of directors Saad Aslam.

According to Aslam, the decisions were sent to the appeals committee who then overturned the disqualifications, thus re-instating the candidates. Included in this was a fifth presidential candidate Reed Collis, and three returning directors Kyle Hocking, Greg Evans and Michael Onabolu.

It went to the appeals committee, because the candidates did not have enough valid student signatures. The appeals committee chose to overturn the decision, and therefore the candidates were re-instated.

There are currently 13 board candidates, but nominations will remain open until Wednesday, Jan. 27 at 12 p.m.

The nominations for student senator positions have also been re-opened, as there are five spots available and currently only three candidates in the running. This was allowed after the university secretariat agreed to the extension.

“The secretary’s office decided to follow the same procedure as the board, and re-open positions,” said Aslam.

Candidates were notified they were allowed to campaign as of after 8 p.m. on Wednesday evening.