News in brief: Nov. 17, 2010

Laurier doesn’t drop much

Wilfrid Laurier University, which last year was ranked as tied for fourth nationwide among primarily undergraduate universities, slipped to fifth place in the 19th annual Maclean’s university rankings.

The drop was attributed to an increase in class sizes. “The research design in some of these instruments is very questionable,” David McMurray, VP of student affairs said. “A lot of it is a sort of ‘opinion-aire’ and it’s taken at a time when students can be influenced by many things,” he continued.

Laurier still holds the distinction of first place among primarily undergraduate schools in Ontario.

Brantford dean of students position remains unfilled

Though the search, ongoing since the summer, appeared to be over for a dean of students at the Brantford campus, Chris Macdonald-Dennis will not be taking the position as was previously thought.

“He’s not coming, he’s declined the position we offered him for personal health reasons,” David McMurray, VP of student affairs, said. “We’ve just launched a new search with the same parameters, the same process … it’s been posted across Canada and the U.S.” McMurray stressed that the position is something that is essential for Brantford, which previously did not have a dedicated dean of students.

Terrace expansion’s ‘green’ roof installed

Friday Nov. 12, a crew of workers installed the foliage that composes the Terrace food court expansion’s “green” roof. The roof material, composed of plants, will help lower heating costs in the structure through the insulation it provides.

The Terrace expansion will also include heated floors and insulated windows to make it even more energy efficient. It is scheduled to open Dec. 3.

The structure shares its roofing material with the City of Waterloo City Centre (City Hall) and Grand River Hospital.

—Compiled by Mike Lakusiak