News in brief: Mar. 3, 2010

Summer courses remain limited
Frustration continues for students as the number of summer classes offered in many programs, especially arts, remains low.

Three weeks ago, Laurier administration explained that the current list of available courses is not finalized and that more will be added in the upcoming months.

“I think that yes they have added a few more in science, in math, physics and computer science, and some more in arts and communication studies and English and geography potentially, and music is looking at at least one as well,” said vice president: academic Deb MacLatchy.

MacLatchy explains that, while the departments have the intention of making more class options available, she is not sure if all are posted for online registration yet.

It is up to each of the departments to work with their dean and plan what classes to offer, she explains, stating, “I think they’ll just continue to come online as the departments make the decisions about what they want to do.”
–Andrea Millet

Advertising competition
Wilfrid Laurier University competed for the first time in the 25th Annual Educational Advertising Awards competition this year.

They landed a gold for a “Be Inspired” ad in the magazine advertising category, as well as a bronze for the InsideLaurier newspaper in the Internal Publication category.

Laurier also took home two merit awards for the Waterloo and Brantford campus view books as well as for their recruitment tabloid publications.

They were competing with over 1,000 other schools from across the globe with competitive entries numbered at over 2,000.
–Compiled by Andrea Millet

WLUSU final election results still not available
Despite the election taking place nearly a month ago, the Wilfrid Laurier University Students’ Union has still not finalized the voting numbers.

According to chair of the board and chief governance office Saad Aslam, the university staff member who administered the counting of ballots has been on vacation and thus they have been unable to get the final numbers. He also noted that chief returning officer has not yet provided him with the data he needs to finalize the results.
–Laura Carlson

Assignment trial set for former university employee
March 26 has been set as the next court date for former manager of the OneCard office Nick Tomljenovic. This is the assignment trial date, where it is expected that they will set the day of the pre-trial.

Tomljenovic – who is no longer an employee of the university following an extensive forensic audit at the OneCard office which began in 2007 – will now appear in superior court, as he has been committed to trial for fraud over $5000.
–Laura Carlson

Oscar night in grad pub
The department of English and film studies will be hosting an Oscar night celebration for film students on Sunday evening in the Grad Pub.

Students will be able to meet professors, watch the Oscars and fill out a ballot with their predictions, followed by a prize for the winner with the most correct.

The event will begin at 7:30 p.m.
–Compiled by Andrea Millet