Naked snow woman is not controversial

Recently, the national news broadcaster CTV has picked up a local story about the naked snow woman on the front yard of 251 Albert Street.

Permanent residents in the Northdale community are complaining about a sculpture that a group of students, both men and women, created.

How is it that a nude woman made out of snow can cause so much controversy?
It is more than common to see various forms of art, from photographs to sculptures and paintings, which depict nude or partially nude men and women. A simple walk through an art gallery or a stroll through a town square baring a nude fountain can expose us to images of this nature in a public space.

Though the fruit used to depict the sculpture’s genitalia is somewhat questionable, it is not uncommon to find inappropriate snow sculptures around Waterloo every year.

Snow penises rarely garner this much attention.

Perhaps it is not the art itself that upset so many people but rather the artists.
University students are stereotypically assumed to be partiers; thus they are often expected to act immaturely or inappropriately.

The clash between the permanent residents of Northdale and Laurier students is nothing new, and this seems to be another attack on student behaviour in the community.

The complaints that were registered about the nude snow woman appear to be more about the problems permanent residents have with the student population, not with the snow woman herself.

It is ridiculous that this snow sculpture has received so much debate and attention in the media, and it is a waste of time for everyone involved.

Permanent residents should not use insignificant events such as this to attack student behaviour.

There are more important problems that exist, and efforts could be better spent improving city-student relationships as opposed to simply complaining about the behaviour of a small group of students.