My most important best friend is my mother

Photo by Marco Pedri

I am undeniably fortunate in that I have very close relationships with both of my parents. I have a father who has always been my unwavering protector and supporter and a mother who has remained my best friend for as long as I can remember.

This is probably an odd concept to some, but the friendship that I have with my mum has always been something that I’ve never questioned; it’s just been a mere facet to my life.

When I first started watching Gilmore Girls as a young, brace-faced preteen, I connected instantly with Rory. Her bond with Lorelai was something that I had never seen represented in this way before: in a fashion that so closely captured the connection that I have with my own mother.

I feel like female relationships in general are not given nearly enough credit in their overall importance and the fact that I refer to my mother as my closest confidant has definitely raised some eyebrows whenever I’ve talked about it.

Funnily enough, I can safely say it’s never been something I’ve felt insecure about.

She has been my rock through life, but especially through university. I can safely say there is no greater comfort than having a hard day and being able to call her when I need advice or just a quiet presence to listen to me vent.

Mum fostered an environment where I could bask in my love of books, movies and everything in between. She would admirably move through each phase of my likes and dislikes along with me, knowing the fictional characters I held closest to my heart and the names of each spiky-haired boy-band member on the posters in my room (I’m looking at you, Jonas Brothers).

The most valuable thing about my mother though, apart from our banter and shared humour, is her ability to kindly, but firmly, tell me when I’m wrong.

She is my steadfast voice of reason who points me in the right direction or rightfully nudges me where I need to go. Even if I don’t want to hear it, she is always there pushing through my ingrained stubbornness in a way that is always annoyingly successful.

As most people will agree, going through school is challenging. From start to finish, high school to university, young people don’t always have it easy.

I have had my fair share of awkwardness, broken hearts and upset over the most trivial, to the most devastating moments in my 21-year-long life. Luckily for me and my sanity, she has been beside me through it all.

My mum’s fierce desire to stand by me when I’ve been wronged, or pick me up when I’ve felt downtrodden, has done nothing but raise my head on my shoulders a little higher each time and give me the mindset I need to recover, learn and forge ahead.

Rather than be entirely dependent on her (as you might assume), she has ensured that I’ve grown into a woman that is primarily independent, sure of herself and never doubting her true worth.

She is Molly Weasley wrapped in Lorelai Gilmore with a hint of her own unique fortitude that has made her so effortlessly competent in gaining my respect, admiration and utter desire to be just like her.

There are many things that change throughout our young adult lives, but thankfully, I know I can always count on the kindred spirit that is my mum.