Men’s soccer drops two straight

The team fell to the top two in the OUA West this weekend, York Lions and McMaster Marauders

Photo by Zoe Nguyen
Photo by Zoe Nguyen

The Wilfrid Laurier University Men’s soccer team was in tough against the top two teams in the Ontario University Athletics West division this past weekend, and fell to 3-4-2. 0

On Sept. 21, the club fell to the York Lions 3-0. The loss followed a defeat at the hands of the second-place McMaster Marauders on Saturday afternoon by a score of 2-0.

In the latter of the two games, the Hawks played the Lions hard in the first 15 minutes, keeping the ball deep in their territory. However, the Lions scored a goal at the 20-minute mark, which forced Laurier to have to battle back the rest of the game.

The second half did not improve as York scored two goals to head out of Waterloo with the win.

According to head coach Mario Halapir, the team did not play their best, but losing to top-ranked York is nothing to be ashamed of.

“They are a good team. I can’t take anything away from them and I think it was well deserved. I wouldn’t say we were great but I wouldn’t say we were poor … they are a quality soccer team,” he said.

Despite the loss, Halapir found some bright spots on the day, specifically goalie Julien John.

“I was happy for Julien in goal. He actually stepped up this weekend,” he said. “He’s been a lot more confident and I would not blame him by any means for any of the goals that were scored.”

John believes the team has the potential to be great, but needs to find the competitive fire to get there.

“I think we have the ability to play and I think realizing that we actually have that ability is something that can improve,” he said. “I wouldn’t say that the attitude of the team is negative. It’s very positive and the guys are hungry to play.”

In addition to John, Halapir also pointed out the strong play of Justin Manning and Blake Whiteley. Manning normally plays midfield, but played defense due to some injuries on the squad. Halapir also said that as long as the team is giving all they have on the field, he is not worried about their record.

“As long as we do that, results will take care of themselves and whatever happens, happens. You can’t control it,” he said.
He was happy with the corrections that were made throughout the game, and is looking forward to their rematch against York in Toronto next week.

Halapir is looking on the bright side going into the game, although he knows York will continue to be one of the toughest opponents to face.
“We fixed a few things us tactically. From every game you have to take the positive not just the negatives,” he said.