The Managing Editor requires good time management skills, strong leadership and the ability to work with a team. This salaried position requires the individual to be self-motivated and respectful of deadlines. Candidates for this position must convey an understanding of how The Cord operates. Finally, the Managing Editor is expected to have a grasp of the variety of writing styles featured in the newspaper in order to identify the needs of the different sections. Candidates for this position must:
- Manage the Cord’s social media accounts (Instagram, TikTok, and Twitter when required). Posting and responding/authorizing messages on both accounts where applicable, making sure Instagram has a cohesive theme.
- Respond to emails from volunteers regarding signing up to volunteer and any queries, making sure all signed forms are sent to the EIC in a timely fashion and that backups are stored in their own designated folder.
- Correspond with the Cord’s team every Thursday to answer any questions and help where required.
- Plan and run any on-campus boothing to recruit new volunteers.
- Write feature articles and fill in for other sections where required.
- Help the EIC with weekly meetings for the team, make sure team members are helping with volunteer recruitment and social media channels where applicable.
- Manage poetry volunteers and correspond with them in the Facebook group.
- Assist the EIC with editing weekly articles.
- Show proficiency in social media, including but not limited to Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
- If needed, attend editorial board meetings and meetings with the Editor-in-Chief;
- When using social media in regards to The Cord or WLUSP, the editor is expected to conduct themselves in a respectful and professional manner