Madison MacCulloch stays positive on the ice

MacCulloch stays upbeat during first season with Hawks

Photo by Will Huang
Photo by Will Huang

Madison MacCulloch of the Wilfrid Laurier women’s hockey team is having a strong first season with the Hawks.

In her first year, the rookie scored seven goals and added six helpers, making her tied for first place in scoring for the Hawk squad.

MacCulloch also contributes during key times — providing offence to a team that’s struggled with putting goals on the board all year.

She has provided a spark for the Hawks, going on a three-game point streak and putting up six points near the end of the first half of the season when Laurier was shut out for two consecutive games back in November against the Ryerson Rams and the Western Mustangs.

MacCulloch also assisted on Jessie Hurrell’s overtime goal against the Toronto Varsity Blues in the first round of the playoffs that evened the series on Feb. 26, and was an integral part in the Hawks moving onto the Ontario University Athletics semifinals.

MacCulloch contributes her success to the rookie class that came in this year — they have all created a support system.

“We’re all really good in supporting each other, and I just did my best, played my role for the team,” she said. “I get a lot of support from the coaches, my parents.”

The Hawks have enjoyed contributions from their rookie class doing some of the heavy lifting, including MacCulloch, who believes that the Hawks have a strong foundation moving forward in the right direction.

While she’s on the ice, MacCulloch works to be a positive influence, using her skating to get as many pucks in the net.

“I try to stay upbeat. I like to think I bring positive vibes to the team,” she explained. “If anyone’s down, I cheer us on.”

The key to MacCulloch’s success has been through the encouragement of her coach, Rick Osborne.

Since the start of the year, Osborne made all the rookies work for their spots on the team, so he put MacCulloch on the wing, away from her natural position as centre.

MacCulloch said it motivated her to work harder to go back to playing her natural position. MacCulloch enjoys the mobility on the ice when she plays centre.

“I like being over the place. I like helping out the wingers, the defence. My coach always says I go in loops or circles,” she said. “I like taking draws.”

MacCulloch said she likes working with her linemates.

Currently, she’s built chemistry with linemate Jessica Prevette and they are currently clicking very well, making strong plays that turn into goals. The two of them have fed pucks to each other throughout the season, allowing each of them to score often. MacCulloch and Prevette worked together to combine for six points while on the ice — something the Hawks will need to provide offensive output as they prepare for their upcoming semifinal series against the top-ranked Guelph Gryphons.

“It’s not about being fancy,” she said. “Most of the points this year are goals in the crease.”