Local high school student faces charges after making threats

Photo by Luke Sarazin

A student under the age of 18 at Cameron Heights Collegiate Institute (CHCI) has been charged with Uttering Threats to Cause Bodily Harm or Death and Weapons Dangerous.

On Feb. 21 after nine p.m., police received a report of a live video posted on social media which highlighted the young male making threats that he would cause harm to students and teachers at the secondary school.

A few hours later, Waterloo Regional Police Service (WRPS) was able to arrest the young male. Possible legal penalty has yet to be determined or disclosed. During the investigation and after the arrest was made, WRPS seized two imitation firearms and ammunition from a residence in Kitchener in relation to the young male.

“The threats were made to the school in general, not aimed at one individual but more the entire school,” Cherri Greeno, media relations coordinator for WRPS, said.

The video, which was seen online by many, displayed the teenage male making threats towards the school. One of the viewers came forward to report the accused to police services.

“We want to encourage students if they hear anything on social media or throughout the halls of their school that causes them concern, even if they think it might be a joke, we encourage them to come forward,” Greeno said.

“We take any threat of violence very seriously. Words and acts of violence or intimidation are never appropriate and even when said in jest are never funny.”

“Come forward to a school resource officer, staff, principal, teacher or an adult they trust so that an investigation can begin to determine the intentions of what is causing them to be concerned.”

Students of CHCI were sent home with notices to their families regarding the young male and his arrest the following day.

“We take any threat of violence very seriously. Words and acts of violence or intimidation are never appropriate and even when said in jest are never funny. Actions or stunts like this will be met with severe consequences to ensure the safety of our school and our students,” Ray Teed, principal of CHCI, said in the public statement.

Parents of students from the Secondary School voiced concerns and appreciation over social media. Concerned parents took to Facebook to thank WRPS for stopping a situation that could have potentially escalated.

“In this case, somebody did come forward which enabled us to make a quick arrest, so we want to [tell students] if you see something, come forward,” Greeno said.