Letters to the Editor: November 28, 2012

Professors care about your mental health

Dear Editor,

I just want to take the time to sincerely thank my profs (and all the profs at WLU) who are really there for their students. This semester has been really tough and I’ve been struggling with depression big time. Particularly, Dr. Jason Sager, Dr. Dana Weiner and Dr. Cynthia Commachio, who have been incredibly supportive, compassionate and who really listen. I don’t feel alone in this anymore.

To all you students out there who are struggling, even if you’re not sure if it’s depression, don’t be afraid to talk to your profs. Reach out! They listen and they really do care, and can point you in the direction towards help. Be it help with readings, assignments, an ear to listen or a stepping stone towards getting more professional help. Thank you Laurier for making mental health an issue we are talking about more on campus. If you’re a student who is nervous about visiting the counselor’s office, maybe start with your professor because they are part of another group of many at WLU who want to see you do well in life.

–Sabrina Brown

Religious intolerance exists for everyone

Dear Editor,

I was rather intrigued by Chadwick Wheeler’s article about atheism as a legitimate belief system. It provided a fresh perspective (at least for me) on what life is like for those emerging from a strong religious background choosing not to go on in their family’s traditional faith. While I did enjoy the insight it provided, it seemed to me that the author believes that our society holds a general hostility toward atheism. Maybe I’m ignorant, but this hardly seems to me to be the case. He has experienced difficulty because of his beliefs as an atheist; so have I as a Christian.

In most social situations, I find that any sort of mention of my God is followed either by an awkward trail off, or some sort of mild (usually) hostility. On the other hand, I have not once heard an atheistic statement receive a similar treatment. Atheism (specifically regarding the theories of evolution) is also the most widely accepted way of teaching in school so as to avoid bias toward any particular belief system. This would seem foolish if atheism is itself a system of belief. I sympathise with the author because of the hostility he received, but his personal experiences do not reflect society as a whole. We are still a long way from accepting every belief system equally, but I don’t see atheism as one that is being actively oppressed.

–Daniel Lantz

Letter policy
Letters must not exceed 250 words. Include your full name and telephone number. Letters must be received by 12:00 p.m. noon Monday via e-mail to letters@thecord.ca. The Cord reserves the right to edit for length and clarity or to reject any letter.