The Lead Reporter is required to exhibit strong writing skills in news. They should be able to write multiple stories within one to two days, and thus are required to have good time management, confidence in interviewing and diligence to ensure their work is factually correct. Due to the nature of the sections, it is preferable that the Lead Reporter is able to work comfortably in high stress situations. Candidates for this position must:
- Cover last-minute stories for the respective section editor;
- Assist in coverage during special events such as elections;
- Contribute at least two stories each week;
- Be responsible for the “Vocal Cord” each week alongside a Lead Photographer
- Utilize social media, such as Twitter, in their coverage;
- Attend All-Cord meetings;
- When using social media in regards to The Cord or WLUSP, the reporter is expected to conduct themselves in a respectful and professional manner.
Applicants are expected to provide two (2) sample pieces of writing that are preferably news-related.