Laurier’s 2024 shoot for the cure campaign marks 17 consecutive years of fundraising

When it comes to threatening and intimidating illnesses like cancer, unity is essential.  

According to the Canadian Cancer Society, it was estimated in 2023 that 124,000 males and 114, 900 female individuals would get a cancer diagnosis.  

Of these, prostate cancer was the most prevalent cancer for males. For females, breast cancer was the most common.  

The morality numbers provided by the Canadian Cancer Society proved to be equally as bleak.  

It was estimated that, in 2023, 46,500 males would die of cancer. The number for females was slightly less, sitting at an equally as jarring 4,200.  

While cancer is known to primarily occur in those older than 50, anyone can fall victim.  

This is why the tradition of the Shoot for the Cure fundraising campaign is so important. 2024 will mark 17 consecutive years of the initiative raising money for cancer research. Since the campaign began in 2007, over $1.75 million has been donated to fight cancer.  

Every year, university women’s basketball programs from across Canada raise awareness and support Shoot for the Cure. This year, the OUA, Canada West, RSEQ, and AUS are all doing their part.  

Last year, Shoot for a Cure raised an impressive $115,000 for cancer research and awareness. The fundraiser will last from Jan. 17 until Jan. 31 with the goal being to raise as much money as possible to help support the fight against cancer.  

In 2024, the Golden Hawks women’s basketball team will once again be one of the 48 teams helping to raise money.  

A large quantity of this year’s proceeds will be donated to the Terry Fox Foundation and Institute.  

The institute raised 29.5 million dollars between 2022 and 2023, leading to 352 funded researchers and 97 cancer research projects. Of these donations, 21 per cent went towards blood cancers. The smallest percentage went to ovarian cancer at three per cent.  

A large part of donations come from events such as the Terry Fox Run, an annual event that raised $8, 968, 608 in 2022.  

Alonside a donation to the Terry Fox Foundation, funds raised during Laurier’s Shoot for the Cure will assist in laboratories, clinics, centers, and hospitals.  

Ticket proceeds from the Golden Hawk’s Jan. 20 home game against the Lakehead Thunderwolves will be included in fundraising efforts.  

The game will take place at the Laurier Athletic Complex and tickets can be purchased at the gate before the game or online ahead of time at laurier.universitytickets. com.  

By buying a ticket, one not only gets to watch an exciting basketball game but also can find peace that the money they spent is going toward a worthy cause.  

Donations can also be made online directly on the Terry Fox Foundation website (terryfox.org).