Laurier women’s rugby shuts out York Lions 

Laurier womens rugby team - player on the field throwing a ball
Photo by: Tim Harrison

The Laurier women’s rugby team put on a full display of their team motto, “Pleasantly Violent,” in a huge victory against the York Lions to add another win to the column.  

“They put everything we worked on in training into the game. We really started clicking and saw the level we see in training.” Head Coach Dave McLean said.  

The Hawks got off to a fast start as Eden Lohr found the tryzone on back-to-back attempts, putting her side up 14-0. The Hawks kept utilizing their speed and physicality to find gaps in the Lions back line and quickly found themselves up 21-0 at the half.  

York, short benched, couldn’t keep up with the Hawks – who wore them down physically and mentally as they racked up points. Laurier held their opponents scoreless, not allowing for any Lion to get through the wall of purple and gold. 

A total of seven players for the Hawks landed in the tryzone for a final score of 51-0, some McLean noted had their first OUA try’s.  

“We are here as a family … We are not relying on one or two people to do everything … Every one of them has an opportunity, but also has the skills to be able to get to the endzone.” McLean said.  

Sammi Hessels happened to be one of the players McLean mentioned, scoring her first OUA try. The first year’s speed was unmatched by any Lion on the field. “I was taking the gaps, and hearing my teammates yelling ‘Take the gaps,’ and hearing people’s support. It helps me not hesitate.” 

Hessels highlighted the short turnaround for her team as they travel to face the Western Mustangs on September 23. “[This win] gives us a lot of excitement. I feel like we are ready, we’re prepared, and we feel strong.”