Laurier recognized as a top employer for young people

Laurier has been identified as one of Canada’s top employers for young people by Canada’s Top 100 Employers, an annual competition arranged by Mediacorp Canada Inc. This is the third year in a row that Laurier has received this recognition. 

Separately, Laurier was also named a top employer in the Waterloo area for the fourth year in a row.

Each year, Laurier puts together an application that details the programs and initiatives they have in place to support employees.

“[The award] is essentially in recognition of all of the student recruitment initiatives, internships, mentorships, training and development programs and supports for young people and recent grads to start a career at Laurier,” said Michelle Jutzi, manager of talent acquisition in the Human Resources department of Laurier.

Jutzi was also involved in creating Laurier’s submission for the top employer awards.

Initiatives at Laurier to support young employers include courses for management certificates, having a social entrepreneur in residence and work-study programs, among others.

Notable employment benefits, such as three weeks of paid vacations after an employee’s first year, also played a role in Laurier being chosen for the award.

Laurier is also in the process of implementing the Equity, Diversity and Inclusion and Indigeneity Action Plan, which includes reviewing the hiring process and other measures aimed at fostering a diverse workplace. 

The university makes an effort to employ students on campus, with Jutzi estimating around 1400 students hired at any one time. 

Certain employment positions normally offered by Laurier have been unavailable the last few years due to COVID regulations, such as day camp counsellors or lifeguards. 

Jutzi says that Laurier has had to look elsewhere to fill those gaps.

“We did hire 3000 students last year so we still have been able to provide opportunities, but obviously there have been some positions that have not been available, which we usually would offer,” she said.

“Departments and faculties recognize the need to find different opportunities than what we’ve traditionally done.”

Students can learn more about Laurier’s employment programs and supports by visiting the Career Centre’s website