Laurier hires new deans

On May 19, Wilfrid Laurier University appointed Michael Carroll, professor of sociology at the University of Western Ontario (UWO), as dean of the faculty of arts, and Paul Jessop, professor of engineering physics at McMaster University, as dean of the faculty of science.

“For me it represents quite a career change,” said Jessop. “I’ve been primarily engaged like any other professor in teaching and research and administrative work at some level, but this position is a firm commitment to devote more of my time to administration.”

Bringing his experience from the roles of associate dean and department chair at McMaster, Jessop understands the importance of communication and student and faculty recruitment within each department.

Carroll, having previously held the position of sociology department chair at UWO, expressed anticipation to work in the position of dean.

“From my own experience as chair here at Western, what I’ve learned is that the best sort of leadership is a consultative leadership, where you bring in as many people as possible into the decision making process,” said Carroll. “That’s one of the things I’ll begin doing immediately when I get [to Laurier].”

In evaluating the faculty of arts at Laurier, Carroll noted the importance of its diverse faculty with programs, combining traditional and newly emergent fields.

“There’s clearly a strong commitment to scholarship and to teaching at both undergraduate and graduate levels and I’m looking forward to being a part of that,” he said.

The prioritization of academics and research was clear as Jessop expressed his concern in sustaining the research he has established at McMaster.

“I would like to keep going partly at McMaster initially by close-supervising and seeing through the students I’m supervising now,” explained Jessop. “But I’d like to get a research effort going at Laurier as well.

“My own research area is in photonics, an area which the department of physics at Laurier is strong so I look forward to working for the photonics people there.”

In beginning their roles as faculty deans in Laurier’s centennial year, both professors recognized the significance of the celebratory year.

“I can’t claim to have a long history with Laurier but it’s a happy time when they’re recognizing their 100th anniversary so its a good time to be starting out,” said Jessop.

Carroll expressed a similar interest, stating, “To become a part of Laurier’s second century, to build upon the successes of the first century and to become even more successful, it’s something that’s personally really exciting for me.”