Laurier Football may be forced to forfeit win against Toronto

The Laurier men’s football team may be forced to forfeit their 37-6 win against the Toronto Varsity Blues due to an ineligibility rule with returning defensive end David Montoya.

“Right now the details are limited,” commented team captain Stephen Cormack. “But it has to do with the new rule on using your years of [playing] eligibility.”

The new rule decided on for the 2010 year was that a player must consume five years of eligibility within seven years of leaving high school – this rule will be effective for any players entering into their first year this season.

“The rule changed in the summer,” commented Laurier director of athletics and recreation Peter Baxter. “[Montoya] made certain decisions back in January when he registered with interpretations based on the old rule.”

The 6’1 230 lb Montoya played five years with the Golden Hawks from 2002-2006 (2002 redshirted), including a Vanier Cup win in 2005. He was named a Second Team Ontario University Athletics (OUA) All-Star in 2005, as well as the Vanier Cup Defensive MVP.

After graduating, he went on to coach football at Bishop Reding in Milton, Ont. – Laurier rookie offensive lineman Luis Aranguren played on this team.

Running back Mike Montoya – David’s younger brother, graduated from Laurier in 2010 and drew significant attention in the CFL’s Evaluation Camp by breaking the bench press record (40 reps over the previously held 33 reps).

The older Montoya did not suit up in last Saturday’s game against the York Lions, a 68-14 Golden Hawk win, as a precautionary measure. The final ruling on the situation will be decided by a Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) committee tomorrow morning.

Laurier Interuniversity Sport Coordinator Wally Gabler and Baxter would have had the final ruling at the Laurier level and deemed Montoya eligible to play prior to the start of the 2010 season.

“We’ve taken a passionate appeal route to deal with it,” said Baxter. “[Montoya] presented his case well today, now [the committee] has information they want to verify from his testimony.”

The Hawks currently have a 2-2 record. If the committee deems Montoya ineligible, the Hawks move to 1-3 on the season – a tough position to earn a playoff spot.

Head Coach and Manager of Football operations Gary Jeffries had no comment on the situation until after tomorrow’s ruling.