Laurier BBA grads start protein powder company

A pair of Wilfrid Laurier Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) graduates have recently started their own protein powder company called ‘Suppy’.

Tom Honor and Logan Moore launched Suppy Canada-wide on Oct. 29 in an effort to “disrupt the opaque and notoriously overpriced sports nutrition industry.”

Honor and Moore discussed what went into launching the company, along with other details about Suppy in a recent interview.

“We got the idea for starting the company kind of through university. We were always into sports and we started going to the gym towards the end of university and we were always taking protein but we were frustrated with how much we had to pay,” Honor said.

“We didn’t see the value in it. So we looked into it and realized that a lot of these companies are basically being greedy and there’s an opportunity to simplify the whole thing and that’s what we did.”

Honor and Moore promise to offer premium protein powder at a much lower price than their competitors.

The BBA graduates have taken a big step to offer a seemingly overpriced product to students at a discounted rate, and it will be interesting to see how much Suppy is able to grow.

Although a low price often indicates a downgrade in quality for many people, Honor and Moore pointed out that the low price is a direct byproduct of streamlining their supply chain.

“The product quality is as premium as the competitors on the market. What [the low price] comes down to is the distribution channels. We don’t have bulky packaging, we don’t have all these different suppliers and warehouses down in the supply chain. For us, the challenge is going to be communicating the value of the product,” Honor said.

When asked to give advice to aspiring entrepreneurs, Logan Moore explained that the most significant thing is taking that all-important first step.

“The whole thing is about just taking that first step. It’s about doing what you love. If you want to start a business, it’s all about just starting and going from there,” he said.

Even though there are only two flavours available right now, Honor and Moore are planning to eventually expand as much as possible.

“We’re trying to smart small. The whole concept comes down to creating a high quality product and keeping things simple. [Right now] we only have one product in two flavours. Eventually, we want to build that up and potentially look at other markets. We did some research and saw that there was a big opportunity in this country. We haven’t looked at a lot of the other countries, but that will be the next step,” Honor said.

The product is available for purchase online at suppy.ca