KW in brief: Oct. 20, 2010

Two awards for local mall

The International Council of Shopping Centers has granted Conestoga Mall two awards for their $75 million expansion, which took about four years to complete.

The Waterloo Chronicle reported that the mall won a gold award for renovation or expansion of an existing project and a silver award for excellence in marketing for a grand opening, expansion and renovation.

Conestoga mall added 30 stores, two restaurants, an all new food court and an in-mall museum which totals more then 130,000 sq. ft.

Sandra Stone, general manager at Conestoga Mall, said that they are honoured and proud to be acknowledged for their expansion/renovation project.

Crash involving buggy could have been deadly

A crash on Oct. 17 involving a horse-drawn buggy has left two children with life-threatening injuries and their parents also injured.

The crash occurred near Hawkesville on Kressler Road when a northbound car struck a buggy from behind, ejecting the passengers from the buggy.

The four-year-old boy and two-year-old girl were airlifted to a hospital in Hamilton while the mother and father were transferred from Grand River Hospital to Hamilton by ambulance.

According to The Waterloo Region Record, the driver of the car, 19-year-old Dakota Adams of Listowel was charged with two counts of dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing bodily harm.

New foster homes a priority

The demand for foster families is growing as the region only has 300 foster families with a demand of approximately 500 children.
According to The Waterloo Region Record, the week of Oct. 17-23 is National Foster Family Appreciation Week. This gives Family and Children’s Services an opportunity to spread the word about the need for new homes.

A foster parent’s role is to care for children from infant to age 16. Foster families have preference on the children’s ages as well as how long they can care for them.

There will be an information night on Nov. 17, at 7 p.m. for anyone who might be interested in becoming a foster parent.

New service launched by KidsAbility

Oct. 12 marked the day that KidsAbility announced the launch of a new service called Firefly Therapy.

Many families are in need of therapy for their school-aged children and have expressed their desire to access them through the organization.

This program addresses the growing needs of children and youth who are no longer eligible for government funded therapy and makes it available through KidsAbility’s rehabilitation services.

According to The Waterloo Chronicle, the service will offer speech and occupational therapy, which include one-on-one, small group and skill-based therapy groups.

KW Symphony improving finances

During the symphony’s annual general meeting that took place Monday night, it was announced that the symphony had exceeded revenue numbers projected earlier this year.

The Waterloo Region Record states that there has been a focus on audience development and the orchestra has become more visible in the community since moving its rehearsal and administrative space to downtown Kitchener.

Unfortunately, the symphony is still struggling financially despite the fact that the deficits have improved from last season.

Ron Craigen, chair of the board of directors is maintaining an optimistic view for the coming season.