Korean fried chicken in the kitchen

Picture of Kims Kitchen restaurant.

This month we decided to eat at Kim’s Kitchen, a cozy Korean restaurant tucked away at 258 King Street.

Picture of Kims Kitchen restaurant.
Photo by Sadiya Teeple

A brisk two-minute walk from campus, this restaurant is filled with all the fixings.

This is, of course, not to mention the HEFTY portion sizes for a post-exam reward meal.

To start, Andrew had the strawberry soju, which, although on the pricier side, was well worth it due to its deliciously sweet flavour and potent alcohol content. Lizzie ever the purist water.

From there, the first dish on the docket was a Kim’s Kitchen appetizer specialty: beef dumplings, coming in at just under $12.

Although Andrew had some initial difficulty figuring out the mechanics of his chopsticks, the first bite had him enthralled as he and Lizzie enjoyed the crunch of the golden-brown coating.

The beef filling boasted a rich and savoury flavour that was expertly complemented by hints of garlic and ginger.

The accompanying soy-sauce based dip was also delicious as each of us kept double-dunking for more.

In quick succession (seriously QUICK cook time), our entree

came out; another staple of the kitchen, the seasoned fried chicken.

If you are a Korean fried chicken lover, this is the meal for you. Either to share or “muck” all on your own, the portion size of this dish is perfect.

Although a little too spicy for Andrew, Lizzie remarks the plate as an excellent combination of sweet and piquant flavours. Overall, a stellar Kim’s $20 classic.

Above all else, the true charm of Kim’s Kitchen is its quaint feel and the incredibly kind staff that work there.

It is the definition of the local restaurant that all of us as university students in Waterloo should support.

And if you do end up doing that, tell them Lizzdrew sent you.

Overall Ratings

Ambiance: 10 out of 10 (TVs for your Kpop needs)

Drinks: 8 out of 10 Food: 10 out of 10 Affordability: 7 out of 10