K-W in brief: November 7, 2012

Consumption of contraband tobacco: a problem in K-W
Contraband tobacco consumption is taking a hit in Waterloo after a council meeting presentation by Dave Bryans, the Ontario Convenience Stores Association chief executive officer. The presentation, which took place on Nov. 5, requested that contact be made with the provincial government to diminish these sales, which includes items such as tax exempt cigarettes from First Nations and counterfeit items produced outside of the country. According to the presentation, research has revealed that up to 28 per cent of cigarettes consumed in Waterloo Region are contraband products. City staff will create a motion in accordance with what Bryan’s requested which will be voted on at a future council meeting.

Weber Street construction to impact historical sites
The widening of Weber Street from a two-lane to a four-lane street will require the destruction of 14 properties which are considered historically significant, according to a report by Stantec Consulting Ltd.. These properties are not protected by the Ontario Heritage Act. However, the ity of Kitchener has made it clear that before the properties are demolished until the sites have been properly documented and evaluated for heritage purposes. Construction, which will also include the building of an underpass under the railroad tracks on Weber Street, is set to begin in 2015.

– Compiled by Lindsay Purchase