Golden Hawks honour seven impressive inductees into hall of fame

Over this past homecoming weekend, Wilfrid Laurier University celebrated and honoured seven new members to the Golden Hawk Hall of Fame.  

The 2020 induction class featured five dominant athletes, an inspiring coach and a remarkable team. The seven were recognized virtually by the Golden Hawks Hall of Fame for their outstanding contributions to Laurier athletics over the years.  

Men’s Basketball guard, Max Allin, Football running back, Dillon Campbell, Women’s Hockey forward, Laura Brooker and Women’s Soccer champions and teammates, Emily Brown and Kelsey Tikka were the five student-athletes honoured in the 2020 class.  

Joining the builders category this year is legacy defining Men’s Basketball coach, Peter Campbell, while the final inductee joining the team category is the 1995 Women’s Soccer team who were the only program to win both the provincial and national championship.  

“This year’s induction class is truly special. They all join the Hall of Fame together with the most highly decorated student-athletes, builders and teams to ever don the Golden Hawks uniform,” Director of Athletics, Peter Baxter said.  

Over the past week, the Golden Hawks social media channels inducted the seven members through videos and a Q & A Hall of Fame session hosted by Laurier communications coordinator, Jamie Howieson.  

Baxter and Howieson, along with the inductees were disappointed that the celebration could not happen in person, but the events were a great success throughout this year’s homecoming.  

While all seven inductees boast impressive profiles through their careers with the purple and gold, they are also very well connected. Versatile guard Max Allin was recruited and played all four of his seasons under coach Peter Campbell. While championship winning inductees, Emily Brown and Kelsey Tikka played four seasons together under coach Barry MacLean.  

Coach MacLean who is a Laurier Hall of Famer himself also led the 1995 Women’s Soccer team, one of the most decorated teams in Laurier history.  

After Chris Ackie’s induction last year, the Golden Hawks football team is recognized for the second straight year, with the induction of one of the top offensive players to play in program history, Dillon Campbell.  

Like Ackie, Campbell was drafted into the CFL after putting forth remarkable seasons as members of the Golden Hawks.  

Campbell was a two-time CIS first team All-Canadian and a three-time OUA all-star, as well as being named the OUA’s Most Valuable Player after his dominant 13 touchdown 2014 season. 

1,458 of Campbell’s 3,568 career rushing yards came in that 2014 season with the Golden Hawks. That mark led the country during that season and is seventh highest in USPORTS history for rushing yards in a single season.  

Campbell owns the Laurier record for career rushing yards and put forth one of the greatest single-game performances in school history. In 2015, Campbell’s penultimate game as a member of the Golden Hawks he rushed for 285 yards on 39 carries to lead Laurier in a memorable playoff victory over McMaster, their first playoff win in five years at that time.  

Another offensive force inducted with this year’s class is Women’s Hockey forward, Laura Brooker. Brooker is the only Laurier Women’s Hockey player to be named an OUA all-star five times and won two provincial championships over a three-year span with the team.  

Brooker lit up the scoreboard with the Hawks, scoring 73 goals and 128 points over her five seasons, both second all-time in program history.  

While leading her team to two championships in 2012 and 2014, Brown may be remembered for her rookie year in 2011. Brooker was named OUA rookie of the year and a CIS All-Rookie after scoring 19 goals and finishing tied second that year in goals with Olympic gold medalist, Hayley Wickenheiser.  

Laurier’s all-time winning Men’s Basketball coach, Peter Campbell and record-breaking guard, Max Allin go into the Hall of Fame together after their remarkable contributions on the court.  

Allin is one of just eight Golden Hawks basketball players to earn All-Canadian recognition and finished his career with his name etched into the Laurier record book.  

Allin is the all-time leader in assists and rebounds with the Golden Hawks and is second all-time in points. In his 2013 All-Canadian season, Allin led the country in scoring and ranked top ten in the country in both rebounds and assists.  

Being named Laurier athlete of the week, Allin credits many of his accomplishments to coach Peter Campbell.  

Coach Campbell had a 16-year career leading the Golden Hawks. He took a once struggling program in 2000 and returned the team to prominence at both the provincial and national level.  

Campbell only missed the playoffs in his first season with the Golden Hawks and finished with 164 total career wins. His best season was in 2005, leading the Golden Hawks to their first CIS Championship appearance in 28 years and finishing seventh in the country.  

After 34 years coaching Canadian university basketball, Campbell was recognized with two coaching excellence awards from the OUA and CIS after his retirement.  

Teammates, Kelsey Tikka and Emily Brown both made a lasting impact on the women’s soccer program under coach Barry MacLean.  

Tikka earned several accomplishments over her five seasons as a defender. An OUA all-star in every one of her seasons and a two time All-Canadian, Tikka was also an academic All-Canadian in four of her seasons.  

Upon arrival to the Golden Hawks, Tikka led the Golden Hawks to an OUA Championship, and a second-place finish nationally being named both the OUA and CIS rookie of the year and being named tournament MVP at the CIS Championships.  

Brown is simply one of the most prolific goal scorers in team history. Brown was a two-time OUA MVP and finished her career with a record of 76 goals, including 21 of them in 2014, which led the country. She is one of only three women’s soccer athletes ever to be named a CIS All-Canadian.  

“Her goal scoring was unparalleled. Emily was a perennial all-star and the most prolific scorer in USPORTS history,” Coach Barry MacLean said of his former player.  

Coach MacLean who has been with Laurier soccer as a player and a coach for over 30 years, also leading the unstoppable 1995 Women’s Soccer team as head coach. MacLean and has well established his legacy with the Golden Hawks with a total of 11 provincial or national championships and was able to win both in 1995, becoming the first Laurier soccer team to do so.  

The team had an impressive 8-1-3 record in the regular season and ran the table at both the provincial and national championship.  

The ’95 team outscored their opponents 16-2 in their final six playoff games, Laurier recorded their second gold medal shutout in a month after defeating, Dalhousie and achieving their second national title in four years 

“They should go down as one of the greatest sports teams at the history of Laurier,” legendary coach MacLean said of the Hall of Fame team.  

While it is disappointing the events couldn’t be held in person due to Covid-19, this class is truly special, having made a memorable impact in their sport and adding several pieces of silverware to the Golden Hawks trophy case.