Golden Hawks vs Windsor ends in draw

Photo by Paige Bush
Photo by Paige Bush

On a very rainy Saturday afternoon, the Laurier women’s soccer team played host to the Windsor Lancers at University Stadium.

After controlling much of the early stages of the game, Windsor’s Abby Hunt finally broke down the Laurier defence 26 minutes into the game to score an angled shot that went off the left post and in past goal keeper, Ashley Almeida.

The Golden Hawks bounced back immediately, scoring less than two minutes later. Tierney Dunham launched a soaring shot from outside the box that found the back of the net to tie the game at one a piece.

“I just wanted to get to the ball first,” she said about the lead up to her goal. “I was hoping for the best and it happened.”

The first half ended in a 1-1 draw.  Even though Windsor had created more of the chances, the game was up for grabs at the break.

The second half began and the weather was still a factor, the rain leading to some sloppy play. Yet, this didn’t seem to have much effect on Almeida since she had a very strong game, making a couple of quick saves as Windsor put some pressure on Laurier.

A few substitutions later, Windsor continued creating chances into the late stages and Laurier was struggling to hang on before the game really opened after 90 minutes.

After another save by Almeida at one end, Laurier earned a free kick just outside the Windsor penalty area. Unfortunately, nothing came of this chance and the game ended in a 1-1 draw.

After the game, head coach Barry MacLean was very frustrated with the team’s effort over the 90 minutes.

“We were very poor. We didn’t compete the way we’ve competed for the first five games of the season. We lost our shape and people were trying to do things that we haven’t worked on, so it wasn’t our best performance by any stretch,” he said.

MacLean, however, was pleased with the efforts of veteran midfielder Katie Bishop. He was also “flattered” that although his team played poorly, they were able to come away with a valuable point.

Moving forward, MacLean felt that there were lessons to be learned from this game.

“I think we’ve got to look at that if we don’t put in an honest effort right through the team, we’re going to get beat,” he explained. “We’re playing with five rookies starting so they’re just getting a taste of what it’s like to compete at the OUA level.”