Fashion show hits Turret

On Sat. Mar. 14, the Wilfrid Laurier University Fashion and Lifestyle Society held its first ever charity fashion show, called “The Answer to Cancer.” The event, held at the Turret, raised funds for the Canadian Cancer Society. After months of planning and soliciting sponsorship, the inaugural event was an enormous success according to its organizers, with approximately 250 guests in attendance.

The club’s vice-president, third-year business student Trisha Rodricks explained that she was “extremely happy with the turnout.”

The WLU Fashion and Lifestyle Society was started last year by fourth-year geography student and club president, Natasha Tacchi.

The club aims to keep its members up to date on the latest trends in fashion, beauty and health. The fashion show was the largest event the group has undertaken so far.

“It seemed like a natural step for the club, and because Laurier is so hospitable and generous when it comes to charity, we hoped it would be successful,” Rodricks said.

After a year of planning, “The Answer to Cancer” featured 25 models modeling clothing provided by nine local retailers. Aris Evolution, a Ryerson student-run graphic t-shirt company, created customized t-shirts specifically for the show.

Dior provided makeup for the models and Spabar, located at the corner of King and University, did the hairstyling.

Putting together such an event was no small feat for the club. Rodricks described it as “a real team effort.” Their work certainly paid off as the $1,000 goal set was far surpassed. Tacchi estimated that approximately $3,600 in total was raised for cancer research and patient support.

The cause is close to Rodricks’ heart. After losing an aunt to the disease, she explained that she “wanted to give back because my aunt loved fashion and would be really proud.”

With their endeavour into organizing and hosting a fashion show complete, both Tacchi and Rodricks are hopeful that it will become a regular event.

“I am really happy that I could participate in the first annual fashion show,” Tacchi, who graduates this spring, said. “I hope that it keeps getting bigger.”