Editor’s note: Making challenging decisions

With the start of every new year, everyone is focused on their new goals and resolutions, thinking about all the things they want to accomplish and get done in 2019.

For me, I was excited to start 2019 after a break with a trip to Calgary with my staff NASH — an annual student journalism conference.

Before the conference, my seven pals and I had booked a day trip to Banff and I had already made a schedule of all the journalist speakers I had wanted to listen to.

However, the day before we were schedule to leave for Calgary, I found myself at home feeling unwell.

Often, we push ourselves past our limits or simply “suck it up” when we have colds and are feeling under the weather for work, to make our friends happy, or to merely try to stick with plans that had been made.

I often do the same; especially when it comes to my job. But, after an extremely busy semester and an even busier semester coming up, I had promised myself that I would use my two weeks off to recover, recuperate, and get myself organized for the new year.

There’s so much I want to get done and accomplish here at The Cord, in terms of academics, and with regards to my personal life. And checking off adventures in Calgary seemed like the perfect way to start 2019.

In the end, it was the people who genuinely cared about me and my well-being (aka my wonderful staff) that were understanding and accepting of my decision not to come.

Despite not only wanting to on a super fun trip with my friends, but also having a commitment to be at the conference for my job, I had to make a tough call to stay home and prioritize getting myself back to 100 per cent.

And although, at the time, it felt like I had let me staff down and was unable to fulfill my job as editor by not coming, I ultimately had to put my job aside and choose to take care of myself.

It wasn’t the easiest choice I’ve ever made, but I know that it was the right choice.

Instead of travelling sick and making myself more sick and more stressed going into the first week of work and school, I prioritized my own well-being and was able to rest and work on feeling more myself, and ultimately, starting this new term in a more positive place.

I spent a lot of time that I could have used getting better worrying about what my co-workers would think if I didn’t come on the trip. And I spent so much time stressing and feeling guilty when I knew that staying in bed to rest was the best thing for me.

I guess this experience showed me that this year, I want to prioritize the things that matter the most to me in 2019, and one of those things is my own well-being.

Although sometimes what’s best for you might not make others happy or pleased, if it’s right for you, then — in my opinion — that’s worth prioritizing.