Editor’s Note: Closing out the year and reminiscing

Image by: Haley Richards

As the final issue of The Cord for the academic year comes to a close, I find myself reminiscing on how I felt this time last year.

At this point, I was about to start my term as editor-in-chief. Part of me was terrified, feeling that I was greatly unprepared for the role.

The other part, however, kept me grounded and dedicated to making my year as EIC the best it could be.

Any university’s September publication, as any other EIC will tell you, feels like a mammoth of a task.

At 24 pages, it stands as the longest issue usually seen in an academic year and seeks to bring in new students on the Laurier campus passionate about journalism.

After publishing September 2023’s edition, I felt like I had climbed Mount Everest.

Every month got ever so slightly easier from there, and now I feel confident in my abilities to put out a full issue.

It’s important to note that this took a full year and I still feel like I have so much to learn.

Of course, you’ll never have a perfect issue (unfortunately).

Some typo or error will always occur (I’m sure you’ve probably seen one), and most times a story (or even two) will fall through.

It’s all part of the job, and eventually you learn how to muck your way through – thanks to the team members around you who are always there to lend a helping hand.

Working at WLUSP has been a joy, and I am very glad that I became a part of this organization.

If I had one piece of advice for graduating Golden Hawks, it would be to try volunteering (or even working for) a publication such as The Cord.

Even if you don’t feel like you are a strong writer, you still have a unique perspective – and one that deserves to be heard.