Editor’s Note: Keeping it all (mostly) together

Studying
Studying
Contributed Photo

Once again, it’s January. Everyone goes back to school (or work) after a period of rotting on the couch and eating your body weight in chocolate (or in my case, turkey).

Upon sitting down on your desk, you may, like me, find that the amount of tasks that have built up on your to-do list seem insurmountable.

We all know it’s true, a lot of people drop off in the new year, deciding that old things they enjoyed doing no longer fulfilled them.

This is understandable, of course.

However, it’s less fun when you’re one of the people who has to deal with the fallout.

So, being a mostly rational person, I’ve formulated what I like to call a “shit list”.(Ie. things that I choose to give a shit about.)

On the other half of the list is things I purposefully choose not to give a shit about (ie, the things that aren’t worth losing sleep over).

So, if you find that you’re giving a shit about something that you shouldn’t, refer back to your list.

Stressful day at work? You or someone else missed a deadline? You won’t give a shit about it in

a month’s time. The world won’t end.

Basically, don’t sweat the little stuff. We could all give ourselves more grace.

Easier said than done, I know. As a perfectionist, I feel you.

I frequently have grand ideas and a set master plan to complete them, but they always fall through.

While I used to lament this, wondering what I was doing wrong, I’ve since accepted that this is a normal human failing.

And, despite the setbacks I face, I always come through in the end.

So, let’s give less shits in 2024.