Editorial: your parents deserve your time and attention

I’m not one to frequently talk about my personal life publicly, but for this editorial I really wanted to dab into to something that I hold very close to my heart.

My family was never your typical Toronto family. I had a dad who stayed at home for work and a mom who was the business woman of the house.

My dad was the one that would do the school drop-offs and I always remember him being one of the only dads there.

It really instilled in me the idea of breaking stereotypes from a young age, and showed me that because I was a woman, I still had the opportunity to do whatever I wanted — this was a normal image of mine.

Growing up, I was probably the biggest daddy’s girl ever. This was something that changed fast as I grew into a woman and followed the cliché of talking about my girl problems to only my mom.

This has definitely changed the relationship with my dad, but to make up for some lost time I have recently been trying my best to go out and take photos with him and go record shopping  as we are both really big into shooting film and have a really similar music taste. Thanks for passing that on to me, dad!

My dad used to work in the film industry and has helped to make some really cool movies.  To this day, I really look up to him for giving me my creative side.

I was a mix between a tomboy and a fun-loving, outgoing, creative child — much of which I owe to being an only child.

They enrolled me in a countless number of after school programs, sewing classes and sports, allowing me to pursue my happiness ever since I was young.

Since this conversation, I have really tried to make an effort around my busy schedule to text both my parents more, to show more appreciation for what they do for me.

Being an only child allowed me to develop a strong sense of independence, and my parents stood behind me the entire time while I was finding who I was and told me to chase after what made me happy.

Besides some ups and downs, my relationship with my parents has been very strong — which is something I will die grateful for, as many of my close friends haven’t had this opportunity.

Being in my third year of university I have come to realize how important it is to call or text your parents to check in on them.

A few friends of mine and I were talking the other week about how at the age of almost 21 this is something that is expected of us, which never was prior in our lives.

While away at university, it is really hard to not get caught up in your new found love of independence, and it becomes easy to hide away in your room with friends for months on end.

Even if you didn’t read this article I’m really not offended. Just do me one favour: love your parents, they kinda gave you life!