Dept. of arts book launch a success 

This year’s Meet the Profs event was hosted by the English and Film Department at the Balsillie School of International Affairs on Oct. 18 from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. 

picture of students and staff at Balsillie School of International affairs
Photo by Emily Herron

Students and staff gathered together in anticipation to hear readings of recent works published by Laurier professors.  

At the opening of the event, Professor Eleanor Ty suggested that professors utilize this opportunity to also host a book launch celebration.

Professor Tamas Dobozy read a short story from his fiction book Ghost Geographies: Fictions

In the short reading provided by Dobozy, the narrator recalled how his grandfather was completely naked when he was found dead in his home.  

Following him was Professor Richard Nemesvari’s introduction from a collection of essays he co-edited on Wilkie Collins.  

Collins was an English novelist and playwright best known for his novel The Woman in White and the popularization of sensation fiction.   

After this presentation, Professor Katherine Spring spoke about a book she co-wrote with Professor Philippa Gates.  

Resetting the Scene: Classical Hollywood Revisited seeks to understand why Classical Hollywood Cinema still occupies space discourse about film theory.   

A section from Garden Inventories: Reflections on Land, Place and Belonging by Professor Miriam Pirbhai was a highlight of the evening.  

In the reading, Pirbhai recalled her relationship with the rose flower as a Pakistani living in the South Asian diaspora. 

Beyond the Icon: Asian American Graphic Narratives was presented by Professor Ty.  

This collection of essays includes new readings of texts featuring Asian Americans like Ms. Marvel.  

â€śI was very moved by Dr. Ty’s publication on Asian American representation in graphic narratives. Her words were so thoughtful, and when she read an excerpt from the book, I was almost moved to tears,”

Lauren Matello, a third-year film student at BSIN

Lastly, Professor Jing Jing Chang presented her latest publication Chinese Cinema: Identity, Power and Globalization.  

This edited volume explores the impact Chinese cinema has had on global film culture.   

All of the titles are available for purchase at the Hawk Shop.