Curling: A pair of former Hawks will represent Canada at the Winter Olympics

Graphic by Alan Li

When the Winter Olympics kick off next month in South Korea, Wilfrid Laurier University will be well represented in Men’s and Mixed Doubles Curling.

Brent Laing and John Morris, who are both Golden Hawk alumni, will be donning the red and white for Canada in February.

Laing, who was a member of Men’s Curling at Laurier from 1997 to 2001, will be representing Canada as part of Team Kevin Koe.

Laing and Team Koe will be looking to defend Canada’s gold medal win in Men’s Curling at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Russia.

Morris, who curled for Laurier from 1998 to 2001 and competed in Cross Country in 2002, will be partnered with Kaitlyn Lawes for the inaugural Mixed Doubles Curling event.

For Laing, this will be his first chance to represent his country on the highest international stage, while Morris has previously won Gold for Canada during the 2010 Vancouver Olympics.

Both Laing and Morris kick-started their illustrious curling careers at Laurier, as teammates on the collegiate circuit for four seasons, while also participating outside the university in provincial and national competitions.

Laing and Morris competed as teammates in the 1998 Canadian Junior Curling Championships and brought home Gold for Team Ontario.

The pair would continue to curl together after their time at Laurier, until Morris moved to Alberta in 2003.

Along with his Olympic Gold in 2010, Morris has gone on to win one world championship along with three Canadian championships.

Laing on the other hand, currently sits at fifth place all-time in Canadian Brier Appearances and is a three-time world and Canadian champion.

You will be able to see Morris compete when the Mixed Doubles event kicks off on February 8, while the Men’s Curling round robin will begin for Laing on February 14.

Laing and Morris were both contacted for comments, but unfortunately are unable to conduct interviews prior to the start of the games.