Laurier basketball’s Bree Chaput named 2013-14 OWL recipient

(Photo by Heather Davidson)
(Photo by Heather Davidson)

“You’re outstanding because you choose to be.”

Kelly Murumets, president and CEO of Tennis Canada, let a room full of motivated young women at this year’s Outstanding Women of Laurier (OWL) luncheon know that they’re outstanding because they make choices on a daily basis that make them role models for the upcoming generation.

Murumets, who shared her story of finding her way into business with ParticipACTION and Tennis Canada, gave insight into how any person can find success when they’re outstanding — and choose to keep going.

“As long as you’re cool and confident and [what you do] makes you jump out of bed every morning, you’ll be okay,” she said during her keynote speech last Wednesday.

At the ninth annual OWL luncheon, fourth-year kinesiology student and women’s basketball guard Bree Chaput was named this year’s recipient.

Chaput, who finished her last season with the Hawks at nationals in Windsor earlier in March, went to nationals twice with Laurier and earned an Ontario University Athletics (OUA) bronze medal this year.

An excelled student, Chaput was a three-time Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) academic all-Canadian and was honoured this year with the prestigious McGraw-Hill Ryerson Student Scholarship. She volunteers with Big Brothers Big Sisters Waterloo, where she helps her match brother with everything from academics to socialization.

“It’s such an honour and privilege, especially at such an amazing institute like Laurier and to be nominated with such amazing people,” Chaput said after receiving her OWL award.

This year’s finalists along with Chaput — women’s soccer striker Emily Brown and defender Kelsey Tikka, alongside women’s basketball’s Doreen Bonsu —rounded out a group of 19 female athletes at Laurier who applied for the award.

“Doreen, Kelsey and Emily are all fantastic people, so just to be grouped with that group of girls and to be here today was such an honour,” added Chaput.

The event raised approximately $25,000 to help support women’s athletic scholarships, initiatives and programs at Laurier. Last year, the luncheon raised $18,000.

In comparison to female athletics, Chaput joked about the success of Laurier’s men’s teams this year.

“Females at Laurier had an amazing year. I kind of tease some of the guys who play varsity sports at Laurier to try and catch up to women’s sports because we’ve had a ton of female teams go to nationals and get out there,” she said.

Women’s basketball, women’s soccer, women’s hockey and women’s curling all went to the national championships in their respective sport this year, with two tied for seventh finishes, a fourth-place finish and a third-place finish.

The OWL award caps off a four-year tenure with Laurier that Chaput looks back on fondly.

“There’s been nothing like it,” she said.

“Just putting on the jersey each game is such an honour and such a blessing. Laurier is such an amazing school and the support they’ve given me over the last four years has been immeasurable.”