Canada in brief: October 3, 2012

NDP support declines

A recent federal poll showed the NDP is dropping four points to 31 per cent in support behind the Conservative party who polled at 34 per cent.  Since the most recent poll in June, the Conservatives gained one point. The Liberal party gained slightly, but remained far behind with 23 per cent support, and the Greens remained constant at 5 per cent. The Quebec election took its toll on support, with the NDP dropping 11 points provincially.

Assault suspect arrested

David James Leblanc, wanted for forcibly confining, as well as sexually assaulting a teenage boy from Nova Scotia, was arrested by Ontario police on Sunday. Leblanc was found in Longlac, in Northern Ontario. The search began after the 16-year-old victim escaped from the home where he was being detained and sought help at a nearby house in Lunenberg County.  There is still another suspect at large. The 31-year-old man, named Wayne Cunningham, is thought to be in the West of the country.

E. coli contamination leads to big beef recall

Beef products are being recalled off shelves around Canada, after an unusually high number of E. coli cases have raised concern about contamination. The products are associated with XL Foods, in particular a factory located in Brooks, Alberta. The Canadian Food Inspection Agency has recalled 1.5 million pounds of beef thus far. The plant was shut down on Sept. 27 after it didn’t make changes fast enough according to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency.