Canada in brief: March 21, 2012

NDP wins in Jack Layton’s former riding
The late Jack Layton’s riding will remain NDP orange after rookie candidate Craig Scott easily won Monday’s byelection in the federal riding of Toronto-Danforth.

Scott, a law professor and human rights lawyer, held off a challenge from Liberal Grant Gordon. According to CBC News, Scott captured almost 60 per cent of the vote (19,210 total votes) while Gordon was a distant second with 29 per cent (9,215 votes). Conservative Andrew Keyes had five per cent of the vote. Roughly 43 per cent of the 74,500 eligible voters actually cast ballots, Elections Canada reported, down from 64.9 per cent in the general election last year. Gordon took the loss in stride and CBC quoted him, calling Scott “highly qualified” to serve as [Toronto’s] MP.

Air Canada pilots challenge back to work law
Air Canada pilots are challenging the federal government’s back-to-work legislation, asking Ontario’s Superior Court to rule that the law breaches their charter rights.

A court filing by the pilots union says the legislation, which forces them to fly, conflicts with their legal obligations under the Canadian Aviation Regulations. The regulations prohibit pilots from flying if they have any reason to believe they are unfit to properly perform their duties. Legislation passed through the House of Commons and Senate and became law on March 14. According to CBC News, the pilots’ application to the court says union members “have been under a significant amount of stress” due to the dispute.
–Compiled by Amanda Steiner