Canada in brief: March 14, 2012

Suspect in custody in University of Windsor stabbings
WINDSOR (CUP) — The suspect in a multiple stabbing outside the Thirsty Scholar pub at the University of Windsor on March 9 has been taken into custody at Windsor Police Service Headquarters. Emad Abdel Ben-Abdellah turned himself in on Sunday afternoon. The incident, which is suspected to be random, took place at around 2 a.m. Friday morning. The university will be conducting an internal safety review over the next few weeks.
–Stephen Hargreaves, The Lance

Tori Stafford trial resumes
Terri-Lynne McClintic, who pleaded guilty in April 2010 to the first-degree murder of eight-year-old Victoria (Tori) Stafford gave testimony on March 13.

McClintic kidnapped the young girl while she was walking home from school in April 2009. She described how, in conjunction with actions by Michael Thomas Rafferty, the pair abducted and murdered Tori.

Rafferty has pleaded not guilty to the charges against him, which include first-degree murder and sexual assault causing bodily harm and abduction.
– Compiled by Lindsay Purchase

Liberals call for Tory cooperation in Elections Canada investigation
The Liberal Party is making records about calls made in last year’s campaign available to Elections Canada as part of an investigation regarding allegations that some call centres were providing misleading information to voters.

It is not yet known who is responsible for creating the robocalls which directed voters to incorrect polling stations.

Thus far, 31,000 complaints and concerns have been brought to the attention of Elections Canada about the election controversy.

The Liberals are encouraging the Conservative Party to follow their lead in cooperating with the investigation.
– Compiled by Lindsay Purchase

Concordia fined for payouts
MONTREAL (CUP) — Upset by Concordia’s massive spending on severance packages for retiring senior administrative staff, the provincial Ministry of Education will reduce the university’s funding by $2 million starting April 1 of this year.

“Concordia University has shown a lack of control and should face the consequences,” Québec Minister of Education Line Beauchamp said in a press release March 9.

“Healthy management is synonymous with transparency and efficiency,” she wrote in a letter addressed to Peter Kruyt, chair of the university’s board of governors.

In the letter, Beauchamp explained that she was particularly concerned about $3.1 million given to former Concordia president Judith Woodsworth and five administrators.

The university also paid $1 million to Woodsworth’s predecessor Claude Lajeunesse.
– Riley Sparks, The Link