Athletic Complex reopens as Waterloo enters red “control” zone

As of Feb. 22, the Region of Waterloo moved into the red “control” zone, allowing the department of athletics and recreation to reopen the Athletic Complex and swimming pool to Golden Hawks.  

This past Monday, the Athletic Complex has reopened its doors to the Laurier community with shortened hours and time slot reservations to accommodate social distance protocols. The complex will be open from Monday to Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., and 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on weekends.  

Time slot reservations are now open to those with a valid OneCard and a green badge on the attestation questionnaire on the SafeHawk App. Additionally, all individuals must wear a face-covering upon entry and for moving around the area. Face coverings may be removed once an individual has entered their workout space or group lesson.   

Manager of recreation KP Anand has been proud of the adjustments the department and its staff has made in order to provide Golden Hawk students the opportunity to get back to the gym.  

“We have drawn up a number of scenarios as a team and we are prepared,” Anand said. “We have plans for each colour in the provincial framework and are ready to go when we are cleared on each level,” he continued.  

Along with the Athletic Complex, all personal training, lane swim, group exercise and dance classes will require reservations.  

As the Region of Waterloo enters the red zone, the Athletic Complex and swimming pool will adhere to some additional restrictions. Individuals will have access to the Athletic Complex no more than five minutes before their reservation to allow for proper sanitation. 

A maximum capacity of 50 people in the facility and a max of 10 people in each space per time slot will be enforced, as well as the relocation of all group activities to the multi-purpose room where the capacity will be limited to six.  

The department of athletics and recreation has outlined some restrictions for reservations to ensure the safety of the Laurier community as well as to accommodate the needs of all the individuals eager to get back to working out.  

Participants have been restricted to making a maximum of five reservations at one time; one reservation per activity space per day, with a strict cancelation policy within two hours before the reservation. Also, if you miss your sessions, you will be unable to register for a new one for at least seven days, as space has been limited.  

The complete list of health and safety measures can be found here on the  Laurier Athletics website.