Athletic complex cuts hours

Due to the university’s current financial situation, Laurier’s athletic department has instituted a number of budget cuts this year.

Most recently the hours of operation in the Athletic Complex have been reduced. On several days during the week, the AC will be opening later and closing earlier than in previous years in order to reduce operation costs

“This was an area we looked at to try and reduce so as not to impact the greatest amount of students,” said director of athletics Peter Baxter. “It all has to go back to the $380,000 problem that we had over a two year period,” he added, noting that the departments deficit had run up.

Each department at Laurier was faced with a 16 per cent cut this year, and the athletic department had to look at ways to reduce expenses. Funding to some varsity teams have been cut; equipment budgets and purchasing have also been examined.

By shortening the AC’s hours of operation the athletics department has been able to lessen outgoing expenses in terms of wages.

“We’re trying to generate as much revenue as we can, but there’s only so many dollars that you can generate and so much you can cut,” said Baxter.

The hours in the AC have been cut back in areas such as the fitness centre and the pool to reduce the expenses that arise from paying employees. These cuts have been instituted at times when, based on previous years of use, the least number of students would be affected.

“I feel like in the beginning it might [upset students], but once they get used to it I feel like they will just schedule around it,” explained an employee works at the front desk of the AC.

Baxter explained that while the expenses for having lifeguards and staff at the front desk during intramural sports games are too high, the facilities will stay open later to accommodate these games. Staff members such as referees can oversee safety already supervise these activities; therefore, any extra employees are not required to be on site.

“When it comes to later hours, we’ll shut down operations in terms of the general fitness centre, but because of the demand on intramural programs we’ll still keep the facility open for intramurals only,” said Baxter.

New AC hours

6:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m.
Monday through Thursday
6:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Friday,
11:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Saturday
12:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.
Sunday.