A step in the wrong direction

It was announced Monday that Seth MacFarlane, creator of Family Guy and Ted, would be hosting the Oscars in February. I would not like to thank the Academy. Apologies to the Family Guy fans out there, but I just don’t get the appeal.

When MacFarlane hosted Saturday Night Live last month, he as per usual, relied on the same three voices to get through his monologue.

I get it, he created a television show that has been around since dial-up Internet, but sooner or later shouldn’t he think of new material?

He brings nothing new to the table and is going to regurgitate the same jokes we’ve all heard countless times before.

The Academy is making a huge mistake by choosing an actor that they think young people associate with instead of one with originality and a proven capability to host an awards show.

I don’t know about other people, but I’m still embarrassed about the whole Anne Hathaway/James Franco fiasco, and I really don’t want to see that again.

What has MacFarlane done recently to prove himself capable of hosting the biggest awards show of the year?

At the Emmys just a few weeks ago he couldn’t even find the correct microphone, and shockingly, whipped out the old Stewie Griffin voice because he didn’t know what else to do.

There are many more adept actors who are infinitely more talented that the Academy could have chosen. Because they want to appeal to a younger audience however, they chose someone with a small repertoire and limited talent.

In recent years, it has become clear that the Academy is less concerned with the quality of the award show itself and more preoccupied with attracting a bigger, younger audience.

Doing this has only ended with the Oscars being disastrous and embarrassing to watch.

If it’s not obvious enough already, my main problem with Seth MacFarlane is his total lack of originality. Every vocal impression he does sounds similar. Family Guy, American Dad and The Cleveland Show are essentially the same thing.

When he appears on television as himself, he relies on his old voices because there is nothing else he can bring to the table.

His “comedy” relies on the audience’s knowledge of his past work and not on new material that is applicable to today’s popular culture.

Most people I know rarely watch Family Guy anymore because they’ve either outgrown the humor or have just gotten tired of the same old humour.        So the Academy either chose MacFarlane because they are trying to attract the audience who loved Ted, or they are trying to target 15 year olds who still watch Family Guy.

Let’s be honest, film directors do not host the Oscars and if they wanted to attract the Ted audience why not choose Marky Mark? Seriously, have you seen his abs?

I appreciate the fact that the Academy is at least trying to make the Oscars relevant, but they just can’t seem to make it work and I personally don’t want to see Billy Crystal host for the tenth time. I also don’t want to see another young person trying and failing to make a room full of different age groups laugh.

For everyone’s sake, the Academy needs to quit focusing on the quantity of viewers and rather, on the quality of the show they are producing.

When they choose hosts based on their talent rather than their supposed relevance, the show is much more successful and enjoyable to watch.

This year they are attempting to be innovative by having a young, unconventional voice actor as a host, but with his lack of material a flop is imminent. I’m sorry Seth, but you’re just not right for the job.

And if you start with your Family Guy shenanigans on Oscar night, I will change the channel faster than you can say “giggity giggity.”