2023 fall semester offerings from the Wilfrid Laurier athletics department 

As another semester dawns over the mystical land of Laurier, students are encouraged to get active and take advantage of the offerings provided by Laurier Athletics. With so many offerings, deciding which direction to go can be challenging.  

Here’s a breakdown to simplify some of what’s being offered this year at Laurier’s Waterloo campus.  

It may be a pleasant surprise for first-year students to learn that several facilities are complimentary.  

Laurier students with a OneCard can work out in the fitness centre, participate in open gym drop-ins, partake in lane swims, reserve a studio or MPR space and reserve squash courts without charge (however, the squash courts charge a rental fee of $2.75 for rackets and a purchasing fee of $7 for balls if one requires them).  

The Athletic Complex offers several other services that require additional fees, including a climbing wall. Single-day drop-in passes are available at laurierathletics.com/shop and the Hawk Desk for $5. The wall begins operations on Sept. 19.  

Customizable adult swimming lessons to fit the needs of participants are also available. All lessons are an hour long, with a private lesson costing $37, while five are $180. Interested parties should contact amandakelly@wlu.ca to schedule a class and arrange payment.  

Standard first aid and CPR courses are also offered at the Athletic Complex. It is a course intended for those who require an in-depth understanding of first aid and is recognized by the WSIB. This class satisfies requirements for the Ontario Public Pools regulation. The course fee is $110, and the required manual is $20. All courses run from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.   

Another interesting offer to check out is from the Athletic Centres’ dance program. The staff plans to teach group classes a new portion of a dance every week for each term. This culminates with the term showcase, where the dance will be publicly performed. The first week of dance class is free, so there’s no harm in giving it a whirl.  

Regardless of your experience, all students can try out for sports teams including hockey, basketball, golf and lacrosse. While none are excluded from the open tryouts, registration is required with a fee of $25. Some registrations may already be closed, but keep an eye out; new sports will be having tryouts as the semester progresses.  

For more information about the athletic centre, check out their website (https://laurierathletics.com/) and Instagram (@wluathletics) for updates.