WLUSU board meeting update – Mar 26

Friday, March 26 marked the last regular board meeting for the 2009-10 Wilfrid Laurier University Student’s Union board of directors. Nine directors were present, and the meeting lasted approximately 45 minutes.

At the beginning of the meeting, Director Jordan Hyde motioned to have a discussion of the Brantford Williams added to the agenda; which passed unanimously.

It was announced that the student life levy was still on hold, as a letter of recommendation from Laurier president Max Blouw had not yet been received by WLUSU; an in camera meeting will be scheduled for next week to sort through all the applications, once the letter is received.

The financial condition and activities monitoring report was presented to the board by WLUSU president Laura Sheridan for the fourth time, and this time it passed unanimously.

The discussion turned to the financial snapshots for period 11, where the main topic was Wilf’s. Director Hyde noted that Wilf’s had an unfavourable variance of $141,000, and asked questions of the management team as to why this was the case.

WLUSU general manager Mike McMahon attributed this to the cost of part-time labour and the increasing cost of food.

Director Laura Allen also highlighted that the Turret Nightclub saw a favourable variance for the first-time this year, with an $8,000 positive figure.

The final item on the agenda was the current progress with the Brantfrd Williams, and dealing with it’s current year-to-date loss of $143,000.

Mike McMahon noted that a letter has recently been sent to Williams Inc. informing them of the financial situation in Brantford. The discussion lasted approximately 15 minutes, and was mostly led by director Hyde.

To read the full story pick up the print edition of The Cord on Wednesday.