Seeking out psychics

In a weekend of typical entertainment, visiting with a psychic doesn’t usually make the cut. However, on Sept. 5, I made the trip to Bingeman’s Conference Room A for the bi-annual Psychic Fair.

I was always curious as to what motivated a person to seek out a psychic. Was it fear for the future, a desperate need for an ego boost or because they were just plain weird?

Despite pre-conceived notions on the “new age” types who might frequent these expos, the majority of the crowd at the fair was indistinguishable from one you would find at a movie theatre or grocery store.

There was a time when psychics were condemned for witchcraft and associated with works of the devil. Even today, many fundamental religions maintain this attitude.

However, visiting with the crowd I discovered that, though many believe in the supernatural, they also possess strong religious convictions.

The diverse exhibitors at the psychic fair demonstrated a religious undertone, from numerologists and astrologists to angelogists and psychics who are ordained ministers.

Once I got a feel for the environment, it was time to pick my psychic.

This is a process not to be taken lightly; in choosing a psychic you are selecting the person who will be looking into your future. For such an intimate activity, you have to be both comfortable and trusting of your psychic.

It is therefore encouraged that you stroll around to chat with each psychic and read their articles or testimonials to assist you in making an informed decision. In the end, you must follow your intuition and choose the psychic that your instinct leads you to. My instinct led me to Mother May.

Mavis Walcott or “Mother May” is a third generation psychic and spiritualist medium who first realized her psychic gift at age eight. By 13, she was able to do complete readings and has been doing so for over 35 years.

In light of such an impressive resume, I had confidence in her abilities; however, I still remained skeptical about the process.

Cynical thoughts drifted through my mind as she led me behind a tall woven panel screen and sat down in a burgundy draped chair. Mother May was a sturdy Jamaican woman and I couldn’t help notice a golden cross dangling from her neck.

She informed me that she would be slipping into a state of meditation to retrieve information about my past, present and future. Soon, the skeptical thoughts once crowding my head were replaced with those of panic and “what ifs.”

She began first with my family, acknowledging the close bond between us. “I know you are thinking of moving out of your parent’s house,” she told me. “You want more freedom; but I ask you to wait even a year. You need their love and support right now.” Well yes, I had been seriously considering moving out, but how did she know?

As I was mulling over her words, she entered into the topic of relationships, where things got surprisingly personal.

She picked up right away on a relationship that had ended recently.

“I know things ended badly, but it was a lesson you needed to learn, to learn your own strength and independence; I don’t have much to say about him,” she laughed.

“Trust me when I tell you that things happen for a reason, especially in your case. I already see that you have caught the eye of an older man, so all you need to do is not take your past with you.”

In the midst of her wisdom, I briefly forgot I was sitting with a psychic and not in an intense therapy session.

She remarked on my future profession, telling me I would complete graduate school successfully and that she knew I desired a career in writing.

“Indeed you are a lucky one who will get what you want; you are a power woman.”

Once she retreated from her mediation, she smiled at me and urged me to meditate to further my spirituality, keep on living my life positively and all would end happily.

I paid my $50 fee and left feeling oddly satisfied. She had been remarkably accurate in all aspects of my life, but did I just pay for a self-esteem lift? Should I let her advice prevent me from making my own decisions?

After the profound 30 minute session, however, I didn’t have space for doubts. Even if what she predicted turned out to be complete bollocks, if at the end of the day all I walked away with is a good feeling about myself and my place in the world, I consider that money well spent.