Retro fashion comebacks

When you look back at those scary photos of your awkward junior high stage, you might wonder, “What was I thinking?”

Those ridiculous trends that seem so repulsive to you now might one day make their comeback.

It might be for your grandchildren, or your children, or at the rate trends are turning over lately, it could be back in fashion magazines next year.
The past few years in fashion have been a return to looks of the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s. Let’s take a look at a few:

Skinny Jeans: It was not so long ago that this current fashion staple was seen as an outdated 80s rock style. Skinny jeans made their debut in the 1950s and were made popular by stars like Marilyn Monroe and Elvis Presley.

These “drainpipe” jeans featured a much higher waist, and were carried into the ‘60s rock culture by the likes of the Beatles and the Rolling Stones.
The ‘80s saw the rise of acid-washed skinny jeans in the metal scene and more mainstream celebrities, such as Michael Jackson, adopted the skinny style in the late ‘80s and early ‘90s.

Unfortunately, hip-hop ‘90s culture took over, and skinnies went into over a decade of hiding.

Fashion forward: Check out these related stories

Hot trends for chilly weather

Retro fashion comebacks

Fair trade: For the globally conscious

Leggings: Similar to the case of skinny jeans, leggings were popular up to the early ‘90s, but were put aside until their resurgence in ‘05.

They are now a staple on campuses across North America, including the new jean-legging mash up known as “Jeggings.”

Loose-fitting tops: Lately, there has been a return to flowy, tunic shapes in women’s dresses and tops. This hippie look has a light, feminine feel that alludes to the “peace and love” of its former wearers.

Shoulder pads: The ‘80s shoulder pad craze made a recent fashion comeback on the runway, but the trend hasn’t received as much wear from the general public.

Other trends of decades gone by that have made a reappearance include white and oversized sunglasses, Ray Bans, fur and oversized jewelry.
Indulge in these current vintage trends while they last, because all too soon “vintage” will be what we wore in junior high.