Poppin’ tags: thrifting as fashion craze

With the opening of previously-owned clothing store The Patch, as well as consignment boutique Luster and Oak we can see that fashion has recently taken a turn in a different direction.

Photo by Jody Waardenburg
Photo by Jody Waardenburg

The world of fashion is definitely an ever-advancing industry. Trying to keep up with the latest trends can be quite exhausting. In addition to shopping being very time-consuming, it can also have a great impact on your wallet. Growing up, a lot of us experienced the expensive stylings of Hollister or Abercrombie and Fitch, which naively seemed like an essential part of every teen girl’s wardrobe.

Although the brand names may have changed, the idea is still the same: there are still incredibly overpriced stores marketing to the teen population, banking on the fact that the hope of popularity will persuade young minds into buying their merchandise. However, there has been a slight change in where people are finding inspiration.

With the opening of previously-owned clothing store The Patch, as well as consignment boutique Luster and Oak – both located in uptown Waterloo – we can see that fashion has recently taken a turn in a different direction. Thrift shopping is an inexpensive and innovative way to spice up your wardrobe. Consignment stores are a great way to make a little extra money as well; since a lot of the clothing they purchase is previously owned, it will have a bit of a vintage look to it. Having that look is very trendy way for people to differ from the current style and come up with something all on their own.

“I think that they’ve become so popular because the vintage look has come back.  They’re also super exclusive sometimes now,” said fourth-year student, Meaghan Roach. “I like consignment stores because they have brands such as American Apparel for $20 cheaper than the actual store itself.”

Fashion is a way for people to express themselves as individuals, and by selling clothing  — even if it is from a popular brand — customers can feel as though they will be one-of-a-kind. There is also a creativity aspect to thrift shopping. To put a fashion-forward outfit together from a thrift store takes some skill and knowledge about fashion. As opposed to a store that you can just walk into and buy anything and it will probably be in-style simply because of the name that the clothing article is carrying, thrift shopping tests the shoppers’ own personal style. However, not everyone approves of this new trend.

“I don’t thrift shop, to be honest. I’m more particular in my clothes and what I choose to wear,” said fourth-year student, Chris Wachon. “When I’m shopping, I already have an idea of what I’m buying and don’t like to walk around and look at multiple items.”

A person’s style can often reflect who that person is, which is why people are so particular about where they shop and what they purchase. Although it is not for everyone, these consignment shops are a nice alternative to the brand name stores that line our streets and fill our shopping centres.