Peaceful Black Lives Matter march to take place in Kitchener

On June 3, the “KW Solidarity March for Black Lives Matter” will take place at 44 Gaukel street, across the street from Victoria Park, Kitchener.

This march, set to begin at 5 pm on Wednesday, is a peaceful demonstration in solidarity with those who have lost their lives to police brutality, institutionalized racism and anti-Blackness. 

We will march for Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor, George Floyd, Regis Korchinski-Paquet & all those before who’s names we know and those names we do not know of,” reads the event page on Facebook. 

“WE are active ANTI-RACISTS and to stand with the grieving Black folks right here in KW and the surrounding areas. We are saying unapologetically BLACK LIVES MATTER.”

This march is one of many that has happened across Canada and America in response to police brutality this week, with local protests in Toronto, Hamilton and Guelph. 

As of June 1 over 7800 people have responded to the event on FaceBook, with over 2500 people saying they will attend and 5300 saying they are interested. 

Attendees are encouraged to create and bring signs in solidarity with the Black Lives Matter movement.

The event page on Facebook also lists alternative ways that people can support the march, such as donating supplies, bringing masks, creating signs, volunteering as first aid or legal support and supporting local Black initiatives.

In adherence with COVID-19 safety protocol, those who are looking to attend must wear a face mask that covers both the nose and mouth and maintain a distance of 2 meters (6 feet) from one another. 

Those who are interested in supporting or attending are encouraged to check out the Facebook event page.