News in brief: Nov 4

Laurier students organize blood drive

Four students in Wilfrid Laurier University’s masters of social work community intervention course have taken a group project and used it to address a nationwide issue.

Jackilyn Alberton, Ashley McKnight, Monica Tan and Justine Kormann created a residence-wide blood drive on Monday evening for Laurier students to participate in.

Students living in Bricker residence were offered an opportunity to donate blood; they were transported to the blood donor clinic via limousine and were provided with snacks, which offered some extra incentive for participating.

“We just wanted everyone to have a really positive experience so that they’re more likely to donate again,” said Kormann.

“Right now there’s a huge blood shortage.”

In total, 48 students donated blood; 31 of those students were first time donors. This amount of blood donors in one day was a record high for the clinic.

–Idil Herzi

No shaking hands at fall convocation

At Wilfrid Laurier University’s fall convocation last Friday, students and officials were asked to refrain from shaking hands due to concerns over the H1N1 virus; they were instead advised to try a less conventional greeting.

“We had lots of hand sanitizer available but we just thought that given so many people and concerns about H1N1 … the officials and the students were just asked to bump elbows,” said associate director of news and editorial services at Laurier Kevin Crowley.

According to Crowley, the new method of congratulations was well received as those involved happily went along with, and approved of, the idea, smiling as they performed their elbow bumps.

–Andrea Millet

Walkway collapses outside FNCC, no injuries

On Saturday afternoon, just outside of the Fred Nichols Campus Centre (FNCC), the ground under the skyjack lift being used for campus construction gave way, causing a miniature landslide of bricks and rubble on the far left side of the building.

Lift operator Michael Plecidy was not injured in this incident, nor was anyone else. The lift was removed from the site as soon as possible, due to concerns of safety because of Halloween.

According to vice-president of physical resources Gary Nower, the ground wasn’t intended to be upholding that much weight, which is why it collapsed.

He also said that, as of right now, the university has no intentions of refurbishing the weak left side of the walkway.

–Idil Herzi