New hip hop music

Macklemore & Ryan Lewis feat. Fences – “Otherside” (Remix)
Everyone knows about Mackelmore’s “Thrift Shop” by now, and how he can get listeners and have a good time. However, he also has a serious side. This track has Macklemore talking about his own issues with drug abuse, specifically codeine and cough syrup, and telling his listeners not to believe that the world of hip hop is as fun as rappers make it sound in their music.

G-Eazy – “Mad”
This artist began writing and producing his own material when he was a sophomore in college, and he loves combining hip hop with old school ‘Doo Wop’ style beats and background vocals. He’s pretty much the only person in hip hop with this style right now and he’s making it sound good.

Logic – “Young Sinatra III”
Logic takes a lot of classic beats, manipulates them and puts his own spin on the lyrics. Lots of his lyrics make you laugh out loud and he’s good at switching up his delivery to keep you interested through the whole song. Probably one of my favourite lyricists right now, I think it’s only a matter of time before he blows up.

Kendrick Lamar – “The Art of Peer Pressure”
Another rapper everyone seems to be talking about right now, and for good reason. Lamar’s album is put together so well and is more like an audio book. Each song leads perfectly into the next track, connecting the album from the first song to the last.  “The Art of Peer Pressure” details his past and how he would go around the city with his friends looking for trouble. However, this wasn’t really who he was but who his friends made him become.

Atmosphere – “Sunshine”
When you listen to Atmosphere, it’s more like listening to a story than a song. Atmosphere has been around since the mid 1990s and has stayed consistent on the underground scene. This is one of my favourite songs if I’m in a bad mood as it helps me think of a beautiful day.

Kids These Days
Not sure if this is technically hip hop, because there’s a lot more to their music than just rap. They are like the evolution of The Roots; a live hip-hop act who are also highly influenced by jazz and classic rock. This is definitely a band that will get your heart racing.

The King’s Dead – “No Peace in a Rebel”
Formerly known as The Dean’s List, this trio out of Boston has evolved into a band that focuses more on original music than their former frat-rap style. Their production is all done in-house and does not sample any existing songs to the best of my knowledge. These guys are definitely worth a listen.

Check out Trevor’s hip hop show, Verses from the   Abstract, Thursdays between 7:30 and 9 P.M. on: Radio Laurier