MacLatchy appointed to Universities Canada 

Deborah MacLatchy

On Oct. 25, President and Vice-Chancellor Deborah MacLatchy was appointed to the board of directors of Universities Canada.

The organization combines universities and their leaders from all across Canada. Together, they work to refine their institutions and student experience.

“I do think there is value for someone from a regional university of our size and scope being on a board such as Universities Canada because it brings perspective,” MacLatchy said. “Being on the board provides a voice not only to Laurier, but to all similarly sized and scoped universities in Ontario and across the country.”

While part of the board’s function involves logistics and financial decision-making, they also play a pivotal role in assessing areas of focus for Canadian universities.

Sometimes, these roles extend beyond Canadian borders.

Recently, the organization sent a delegation of university presidents to the Philippines to establish partnerships under the Universities Canada umbrella.

A big priority for Universities Canada has been Indigeneity.

“Our response to the Truth and Reconciliation Commission on parts where there were principles and recommendations around education and the importance of education to Indigenization and decolonization – that’s where as an umbrella organization we provide support to Canadian Universities,”

Maclatchy

MacLatchy aims for the board to look inwardly to see how operations could improve further.

“I’m interested in the internal workings of Universities Canada and how we can ensure that we’re using the best practices and learning from other organizations.”

MacLatchy does her best to stay up to date on students’ attitudes and mindsets.

This includes meeting with leaders of the Students’ Union and Graduate Students Association monthly to gain perspective on students, their experience on-campus and beyond Laurier’s borders.

“I hope that students at Laurier know that I am open to suggestions and dialogues about things of importance to them,” said MacLatchy. “I encourage the rest of the executive team and the vice presidents to be equally open.”