Laurier opens classrooms to increase study space

In response to concerns from the student body the Wilfrid Laurier University Students’ Union has worked with the dean of students office and administration to find an interim solution for the lack of study space on campus.

“It seems like it’s a consistent problem with our students here in Waterloo,” said WLUSU president Laura Sheridan.

“I’ve heard anecdotally from students in the the past week or so that they’ve had frustrations with a lack of study space on campus.”

After a university staff member sent out an e-mail earlier in the week Sheridan and other members of administration were able to locate classrooms that they could use as study space for the remainder of the exam period.

Arts 1C16, 1C17 and 1C18 will be open 24 hours until the exam period is over.

Sheridan said that classrooms will be a quiet space and are only be used for individual study. Because of Accessible Learning exams one of the classrooms might be closed at various times (to be advertised by signage) throughout the exam period.

Foot Patrol and Special Constable Services will also be frequently visiting the classrooms throughout the night.

“It’s not just to monitor the [media] equipment it’s to ensure that we’re providing a safe study space for students that can be offered 24-7,” said Sheridan.

This year WLUSU businesses, such as the Terrace and Wilf’s, will not be heavily reducing hours. The C-Spot is extending its hours, staying open until 1 a.m. Monday through Friday.